Date Posted: July 4, 2017
Location: Alberta Capital Region
Job Type: FT Salaried position
Great Work. Great People. Great Place. GREAT Purpose.
Are you looking for a career that makes a real difference in the lives of Albertans? Do you want to be part of a growing organization with opportunities for development? Do you want to look forward to coming to work every day? Then Goodwill Industries of Alberta is the place for you!
Goodwill is dedicated to providing people with disabilities the opportunity to find meaningful employment. This is made possible as a direct result of the generosity of Albertans in our community who choose to donate to Goodwill, where these items are resold through our successful retail stores. Our dedicated, ambitious and hard-working team members are the key to our success. By embodying Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Recognition, Customer Service and Safety, our organization is driven towards GREATness.
The Director of Sustainability will steward the development and execution of a broad-based, enterprise-wide strategic sustainability initiative, integrating sustainability throughout the enterprise. This will be achieved by ensuring the enterprise’s sustainability efforts enhance business performance and support the long-term interests of social sustainability, financial sustainability and environmental sustainability.
This will be achieved by:
- Championing Goodwill’s sustainability initiatives by leading a team of managers and supervisors to ensure the proper and effective flow of donated goods to and from Goodwill’s donation centres through the sustainability process.
- Developing and implementing Goodwill’s Sustainability Action Plan across the enterprise and championing community buy-in and support.
- Developing partnerships and relationships in the community based on shared sustainability initiatives and focusing on improving sustainability best practices.
- Developing a culture of continuous improvement and “sustainability first” through the use of enterprise wide, sustainability best practices.
In collaboration with Chief Operating Officer, your key responsibilities will include:
- Promote/Mentor within Goodwill the sustainability vision and engage all Goodwillians to actively participate in what this vision involves across the Goodwill enterprise.
- Develop partnerships with other sustainability advocates and share the knowledge gained to develop and implement Goodwill’s Sustainability Action Plan (SAP), with contribution from the Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
- Create an overarching strategy for sustainability with an accompanying mission or vision and clear operating principles.
- Conduct an analysis of current policies, costs and benefits associated with implementing sustainable practices in the organization.
- Work with Impact Centre (IC) leadership team to prepare budgets and manage ongoing results from the IC Playbook including the Outlet Store and Furniture Outlet, and the warehousing, transportation, and recycling departments.
- Mentor direct reports to:
- Lead the recycling and salvage process to accomplish zero waste by 2021.
- Proactively seek out new recycling and salvage vendors and methods.
- Seek other community partnerships to set up new ventures such as furniture refurbishing, bicycle repairs etc. in the community engagement section of the Impact Centre.
Successful candidates will have:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Business Management with experience in corporate sustainability.
- Minimum five (5) years of related leadership experience
- Have a proven ability to lead, model and deliver customer service excellence through team members.
- Have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Able to influence, empower and motivate others and hold team members accountable for the completion of responsibilities.
- Be courteous and able to work in a culturally diverse working environment.
The Application Process:
For more information on Goodwill Industries of Alberta and what we offer, please visit our website at www.goodwill.ab.ca.
We are working with Summit Search Group for this opportunity. For more information on the position, please visit https://www.summitsearchgroup.com/job/director-of-sustainability/ .
Candidates interested in this opportunity should forward their Resume today to Bruce Proctor at Bruce@summitsearchgroup.com
Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit to a Criminal Record Check
Goodwill Industries of Alberta is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination of any kind.