UPDATE: To everyone who applied for our board member role, thank you! We are no longer accepting applications at this time (Feb. 21st, 2018).
Get involved! Make a difference to those who are facing barriers to employment.
Goodwill Industries of Alberta (Goodwill) is currently seeking Volunteer Board Members. This is a great opportunity to be involved with an organization making great strides in enriching the lives of people with disabilities within the Alberta community.
Goodwill’s Board of Directors is comprised of leaders from the Alberta community who are dedicated to supporting and promoting Goodwill’s mission. They champion the importance of providing exceptional leadership and believe in serving people.
Our Mission Statement
Goodwill is a social enterprise providing individuals with disabilities the opportunity to enhance their lives through meaningful employment.
Goodwill is a not-for-profit organization that supports the Alberta community by providing employment readiness skills training, career services, job placement for Albertans with disabilities in Airdrie, Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove, and St. Albert. Goodwill is one of the largest employers of people with disabilities in Western Canada. At Goodwill we value respecting each other, acting with integrity, working as one team, providing exceptional customer service, recognizing each other’s contributions and working safely. To learn about Goodwill Industries of Alberta visit www.goodwill.ab.ca.
About Our Board of Directors
Currently, we are seeking applicants with a background in board leadership and a strategic outlook to support Goodwill’s growth strategy as well as the desire to enrich the lives of people with disabilities. We are seeking board members to represent the region of Calgary and South Alberta. Travel to Edmonton 3-4 times annually expected. To complement the skills already represented on our Board, we are also seeking new members who are knowledgeable in the areas of Governance, Sustainability, Law, and/or Information Technology and who reflect the diversity of the Calgary and area communities.
As a Goodwill Volunteer Board Member, your key responsibilities are to:
- Be an advocate who promotes the organization’s programs and act as an ambassador for Goodwill’s overall purpose and mission.
- Contribute to public relations to secure partnerships and resources to advance Goodwill’s mission.
- Strengthen the organization’s position by participating on board and ad hoc committees, and by providing leadership, advisement and guidance.
- Be actively engaged and able to dedicate 8-18 hours a month for meeting preparation, board and committee meeting attendance (in both Edmonton and Calgary) and community events.
Why should you volunteer as a Goodwill Board Member?
- To help build a stronger, sustainable Goodwill and create meaningful employment for Albertans with disabilities.
- Apply your expertise in the social profit sector and help advance Goodwill’s social impact within the Alberta community.
- Enhance your career by providing a different perspective on what it takes to deliver impact, raise resources, and ensure accountability of an enterprise enhancing the social good.
- Meet a diverse range of people and network with like-minded community-builders.
- Feel great about making a meaningful, positive impact on your community.
How to Apply
If you are interested in partnering with Goodwill to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities, please forward your résumé along with a letter of intent specifically detailing the following (maximum 500 words):
- Statement of Intent: Why do you wish to serve on the Goodwill Volunteer Board? How you will contribute to promoting Goodwill’s mission and presence in the Alberta community?
- Governance Experience: Please indicate your experience (volunteer, work or education) related to board governance, including previous and current board service (boards served, length of time, positions held, significant contributions).
- Areas of Expertise: Please list your areas of professional experience. Examples include: Legal, Sustainability, Strategic planning, Fund development, Public/Media Relations, Human resources, Information technology, Social Profit sector experience, Financial management, Government relations, Leadership, Supporting people with disabilities, Communications, Other.
Please submit all required information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for Board positions will be accepted until Sunday, February 4, 2018. Interviews will be conducted in February/March 2018 and new members will be appointed to the Board at the AGM in May 2018. For more information, please contact Donna Heron, Board Assistant at (780) 944-1414 ext. 81013 during office hours of 8 am to 4 pm.
Goodwill Industries of Alberta is an equal opportunity employer serving people with disabilities and barriers to employment, and therefore requires all successful applicants to pass a criminal record check. Goodwill Industries of Alberta thanks all applicants, but only those invited for an interview will be contacted.