Get involved. Make a difference to those who are facing barriers to employment.
Goodwill Industries of Alberta (Goodwill) is currently seeking Volunteer Board Members. This is a great opportunity to be involved with an organization making great strides in enriching the lives of people with disabilities within the Alberta community.
Goodwill’s Board of Directors is comprised of leaders from the Alberta community who are dedicated to supporting and promoting Goodwill’s mission. They champion the importance of providing exceptional leadership and believe in serving people.
Click here to learn more about our newest social enterprise initiative, the Impact Centre.
Our Mission Statement
Goodwill is a social enterprise providing individuals with disabilities the opportunity to enhance their lives through meaningful employment.
Goodwill is a social enterprise supporting the Alberta community by providing employment readiness skills training, career services, job placement for Albertans with disabilities in Calgary, Edmonton and Grande Prairie. Goodwill is also one of the largest employers of people with disabilities in Western Canada. At Goodwill we value respecting each other, acting with integrity, working as one team, providing exceptional customer service, recognizing each other’s contributions and working safely.
About Our Board of Directors
Currently, we are seeking applicants with a background in board leadership and a strategic outlook to support Goodwill’s growth strategy as well as the desire to enrich the lives of people with disabilities. We are primarily seeking board members to represent the regions of Calgary and South Alberta as well as Grande Prairie.
As a Goodwill Volunteer Board Member, your key responsibilities are to:
- Be an active advocate and ambassador for Goodwill’s overall purpose.
- Be fully engaged in fundraising and public relations to secure partnerships and financial resources to advance Goodwill’s mission.
- Strengthen the organization’s position by participating on board and ad hoc committees, and by providing leadership, advisement and guidance.
- Help promote and communicate the organization’s purpose and programs.
- Be able to dedicate 15 to 20 hours a month for board meetings, committee meetings and community events.
Why should you volunteer as a Goodwill Board Member?
- To help build a stronger, sustainable Goodwill and create “meaningful employment” for Albertan’s with disabilities.
- Apply your expertise in the nonprofit sector and help advance Goodwill’s social impact within the Alberta community.
- Enhance your career by providing a different perspective on what it takes to deliver impact, raise resources, and ensure accountability of a social enterprise with the purpose to help Albertans with disabilities gain meaningful employment
- Meet a diverse range of people.
- Network with like-minded people.
- Make a meaningful, positive impact on your community.
How to Apply
If you are interested in partnering with Goodwill to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities, please forward your resume along with a letter of intent specifically detailing the following (maximum 500 words):
- Statement of Intent: Why do you wish to serve on the Goodwill Volunteer Board? How will you contribute to promoting Goodwill’s mission and presence in the Alberta community?
- Board Service: list each board you have served, length of time, positions held, significant contributions.
- Governance Experience: indicate your experience (volunteer, work or education) related to board governance.
- Areas of Expertise: fund development, legal expertise, Strategic Planning, Financial Management, Government Relations, Leadership, supporting people with disabilities or other.
Please submit all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for Board positions will be accepted until Saturday, April 1, 2017. For more information, please contact Donna Heron, Board Assistant at (780) 944-1414 extension 81013 during office hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
To learn about Goodwill Industries of Alberta visit www.goodwill.ab.ca.
Goodwill Industries of Alberta is an equal opportunity employer serving people with disabilities and barriers to employment, and therefore requires all successful applicants to pass a criminal record check.
Goodwill Industries of Alberta thanks all applicants, but only those invited for an interview will be contacted.