Hi, I’m Marion and I’ve loved thrifting since I was 10 years old and moving here to Calgary was really great for this (we don’t have so many second-hand shops in France, especially in Aix en Provence – most of them are ”vintage shops”).
So when Goodwill Alberta proposed I do an Instagram Takeover ** for them and of course I said yes! I already shop a lot at Goodwill, I spend a lot (too much) time on Instagram, and it was an amazing opportunity to help others discover that Goodwill is not only a second-hand shop but also a non-profit social enterprise. The revenue from their sales goes to providing career training and job opportunities for Albertans’ with disabilities.
** An Instagram takeover is the process of taking over someone else’s Instagram account temporarily and sharing content with their audience.
Why I love Shopping at Goodwill
- It’s fun: You never know what you will find in the store!
- It’s cheap: come on, why would you pay $80 for jeans when it’s only $10 second-hand?
- It’s eco-friendly: producing new clothing requires energy and so much water !! Buying second-hand reducing the impact on the planet.
- As it’s cheap, you can buy some clothes that you wouldn’t afford or wear normally and experiment! (For example for me: fake fur jacket, or green clothes). And if you only wear that red shirt with dots a few times, it’s ok, it was only $3 (and then you can still re-donate it to Goodwill).
- Clothes are unique: you won’t run into somebody wearing the same piece as you.
- It’s higher quality: these clothes have already been worn, washed, ironed … and still look good !!!
My 10 my tips for a successful second-hand shopping:
- Be ready: Are you looking for something? Make a list.
- Budget: How much do you want to spend? Decide a budget and stick to it – I know it’s hard.
- Try and choose the right size. Yes I know, this Chanel wool skirt is amazing, and cost only $15, but if it’s too small (or large) you won’t ever wear it! (Size doesn’t always matter: if this large pullover looks good on you, but you’re normally a size XS, then go for it!
- Use a shopping cart (or a basket) then do a loop around the entire store and grab everything that catches your attention, even if you are not sure about it. Then try everything!
- Pay attention to the material: no stain, no hole, they’re are no-go!!!
- Patience: don’t be in a hurry, take your time. I do spend a lot of time when I go to Goodwill. I would advise you to have 2 hours in front of you dedicated to your shopping session.
- Get comfy: when you go shopping, wear comfy shoes and outfit, and good underwear (that flatters you).
- Know which brands look good on you (for me Banana Republic and Gap).
- Take a second look through the shop: you may have missed some treasures!
- At the end of your shopping choose what’s worth buying: sometimes I find a lot of nice items, but do I really need a fourth pair of black jeans? The answer is no. Try to buy pieces that will work with your actual wardrobe.
Why I love shopping at Goodwill Chinook store?
- The staff is nice and efficient! It’s always nice to shop there!
- This shop is big, but not too huge (with 4 changing rooms).
- I often find Banana Republic pieces and Gap jeans (1966 – size 27, the ones I wear every day),
- It’s nearby the C-Train.
- Prices are great!
- I feel part of a community as I know that the $ I spent will help people (88.8% of every dollar spent in Goodwill thrift stores goes into programs).